Best Buy Return and Exchange Policies
Best Buy Return and Exchange Policies
We work hard every day to enrich the lives of our customers through technology, whether you come to us online, visit our stores, or invite us into your home. If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, we'll do our very best to help you with a replacement, return, or repair.
Looking for a Marketplace return policy? The policy below applies to purchases from Best Buy only. To learn how to find a Marketplace seller's return policy, and how to return a Marketplace product, visit our Returning a Marketplace Product page.
General return and exchange policy
Most products sold by Best Buy can be returned or exchanged within 30 days from the date of your in-store purchase, or 30 days from the date your online order is delivered. The exceptions to this policy are cellular and wireless devices (details below) and non-returnable items (details below).
All products must be returned in their original packaging. The product must be in like-new condition (i.e., no signs of use), and some products can only be returned or exchanged if the packaging is unopened. Read the complete policy details below for full details.
To process a return or exchange, you will need to provide the following:
- The original receipt (invoice) from your purchase.
- The original method of payment. Payment card purchases will be refunded to the original payment card. Store credit will be given for returns with gift receipts.
- Original packaging and all items originally included by the manufacturer or by Best Buy (including manuals, accessories, gifts with purchase, bonus items, and any other included items)
- Your name, address, phone number, and signature. Valid government-issued photo ID may be requested to confirm this information.
Cellular and wireless devices
Best Buy adheres to the CRTC Wireless Code of Conduct and the rights of the consumer. Subject to usage restrictions set by the carriers, cellular and wireless devices can be returned up to 15 days from the date of your in-store purchase, or 15 days from the date your online order is delivered. The return period is up to 30 days for any person who has self-identified as a person with a disability. For more information about the CRTC Wireless Code of Conduct, you can visit the Wireless Code of Canada webpage.
Cellular and wireless devices include cell phones and smartphones, and carrier-activated tablets, mobile hotspots, and wearables.
Before returning a cellular or wireless device, make sure to disable the security settings. See more details in the “Disabling security settings on certain devices” section below.
Bundle, bonus, and defective items
Returning a bonus item
Bonus items, or free gifts, are items that were included free with certain purchases. If you wish to return a bonus item, you will need to return both the item that you paid for and the bonus item to be eligible for a refund. Bonus items can be exchanged only if they are defective. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Return and Exchange Policies apply.
Returning a bundle item
Bundle items are items that came as part of a combo or package promotion with another item. Bundling items together allows us to offer them to you at a (combined) lower price than if you were to purchase them each separately.
If you decide to return one or more of the items included in a bundle, you will be charged the stand-alone price for each item you wish to keep, which may be higher than the bundled price, then refunded for the items you wish to return. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Return and Exchange Policies apply.
Returning a defective item
A defective item can be returned or exchanged within 30 days, and must be in its original packaging with all items originally included by the manufacturer or by Best Buy.
The following products cannot be returned:
- Major appliances that are Open Box, floor models, and/or of the Miele brand
- Service, delivery, and installation fees
- Gift cards and pre-paid cards
- Digital downloads (such as digital software and video games)
- Books, magazines, and copyright materials
- Food, vitamins, and supplements
- Intimate products
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Seasonal holiday goods
- Shopping bags
Product condition requirements
Most items can be returned or exchanged even if the box or packaging has been opened, with the exception of non-returnable items and certain items that must be unopened.
If the box or packaging is opened, the product must be in like-new condition, with no signs of use. Additional conditions apply to the following items:
- All furniture must be unassembled. This includes indoor and outdoor furniture, nursery and baby furniture, and all other types of furniture.
- Fashion apparel, linens, bedding, maternity products, and baby clothes, shoes, and accessories must be unused, unworn (if applicable), unlaundered, and still have the original tags attached.
- Cell phones, smartphones, wireless devices, computers (laptop and desktop), tablets, iPads, and eReaders must have all security settings disabled. See more details in the "Disabling security settings on certain devices" section below.
Restocking fees on certain opened items
There are no restocking fees when returning unopened items, or when returning most items that have been opened. However, a restocking fee of 15% of the purchase price will apply to the following items only if the original packaging is opened:
- Action cameras and camcorders
- DSLR and mirrorless cameras
- Camera drones
- Camera lenses and flashes
Items eligible for return or exchange only if unopened
The following products can only be returned or exchanged if the original packaging is unopened:
- Major appliances
- except Open Box, floor models, and Miele major appliances, which are all non-returnable.
- Baby, nursery, and maternity products
- except baby monitors, gates, and highchairs, which can be returned if opened.
- Beauty, grooming, and personal care products
- except hair dryers, hair straighteners, and curling irons, which can be returned if opened.
- Fitness equipment
- Computer components and upgrades
- Physical software, blank media (e.g., blank CDs), and entertainment media (including video games, music, and movies)
- Office supply consumables (ink, toner, etc.)
- Paper supplies (paper, writing instruments, etc.)
- Headphones and virtual reality headsets
- DJ and karaoke equipment, musical instrument consumables (e.g., guitar strings, etc.), and wind instruments (e.g., harmonicas)
- Beverage dispensers or soda machines with compressed gas
- Photo film
- Cleaning supplies and chemicals
Disabling security settings on certain devices
Before returning cell phones, smartphones, wireless devices, mobile hotspots, wearables, computers (laptop and desktop), tablets, iPads, and eReaders, you will need to turn off the security settings.
How to disable security settings
- iOS products: If you're returning a Mac, visit the Activation Lock for Mac Apple support page. For other Apple cellular or wireless devices, visit the Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch Apple support page.
- Android products: You will need to turn off the FRP (Factory Reset Protection) feature before returning the device. Get the steps and details by visiting the How to disable FRP page.
Shipping charges and Environmental Handling Fees
Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable unless a returned item is determined to be defective.
Best Buy's Environmental Handling Fees (EHFs) are in place to cover the cost associated with the safe and responsible recycling of end-of-life electronics, and are refundable.