Sony Alpha a7 II Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera (Body Only)
Full-frame advantage, BIONZ X performance
- Equipped with a 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor, the a7 II captures stunning images with a wide dynamic range and true-to-life colour reproduction in 24.3MP resolution. Play back and admire the lifelike, vibrant colours of the wildflowers in your garden, output in brilliant 4K resolution on your compatible TV.
- The BIONZ X image processing engine faithfully reproduces textures as seen by the naked eye for more realistic images with precise detail and richer tonal gradations. You won't just capture the myriad of eyes and fangs of a spider hanging in your garden, but also the droplets of dew suspended in its web.
- Featuring a native ISO sensitivity range of 100 to 25600, the Exmor sensor and BIONZ X combine to deliver incredibly detailed images with exceptional clarity, texture, and low noise when shooting in low light at mid to high ISO ranges. Easily capture all of the splendour of your lantern-lit backyard in sharp detail.
Focused and stable
- Built-in 5-axis image stabilization compensates for 5 types of commonly experienced camera shake, including pitch at yaw at long focal lengths, horizontal and vertical shift at high magnification, and roll during long exposure. Shoot everything from once-in-a-lifetime events to everyday situations, worry-free.
- Capture decisive moments and fast-moving subjects with 5fps continuous AF/AE shooting. Thanks to a predictive algorithm that expertly tracks your subject's movements, the a7 II delivers sharp, well-exposed images shot continuously.
- Enhanced Lock-on AF tracking keeps moving subjects in sharp focus, so capturing the erratic flying of a hummingbird dancing through your garden is smooth and stable.
- Fast Hybrid AF system delivers a much wider coverage area using 117-point phase-detection autofocus and 25-point contrast-detection autofocus. Phase detection sensors help focus on the playful raccoon bounding across your yard, as well as his off-centre companion in hot pursuit.
Capture and record like a pro
- The a7 II records in XAVC S format, ensuring you get maximum clarity and detail. XAVC S records at 50Mbps for Full HD 1080p (60p/50p, 30p/25p, 24p) footage. It also uses linear PCM sound recording for high-quality audio.
- Dual video recording allows you to simultaneously record an XAVC S and an MP4 movie, or an AVCHD and an MP4 movie.
- The a7 II supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format, making the most of the full-frame sensor's wide dynamic range and ensuring maximum quality of tonal gradation.
Frame the shot the way you want
- High-contrast XGA OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder lets you view your surroundings in rich detail. Preview your recordings, including the effects of camera settings, so you can tweak exposure, colour, and focus before taking the picture.
- Tiltable 3-inch 1229K-dot LCD screen flips up about 107 degrees and down 41 degrees so you can indulge in perfectly framed low-angle shots, and change your view on a whim. Dare to stand on the cliff's edge and photograph the plunging depths below.
- WhiteMagic technology makes it easy to see the LCD screen under direct sunlight. WhiteMagic almost doubles the brightness of the display for at-a-glance reviewing of focus and image details.
- Shoot like a pro thanks to instant access to the features you need to shoot on the fly, including full manual control and 10 customizable buttons that allow you to assign 1 of 56 functions to any of those buttons. Quickly choose shooting modes and camera settings with a rear-mounted control wheel and top scroll wheel.
- The a7 II sports advanced shooting features, such as a zebra assist and focus peaking. Zebra assist mode allows you to see what areas in your frame are overexposed, while focus peaking lets you see what areas of the frame are in focus. The a7 II also has 13 creative filters, auto HDR, and more, allowing you to add unique flair to your images.
- Equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe, the a7 II lets you take advantage of a range of accessories, such as video lights and shotgun microphones (not included) to help you create more professional-looking videos.
- Compact, lightweight design, features a robust magnesium alloy body and lens mount that's dust and moisture resistant. Get peace of mind that your gear will survive if the weather becomes unfriendly.
- An anti-dust system and anti-static coating ensure that dry or moist particles that could get in when you're swapping lenses won't stick to the optical filter, keeping your photos blemish free.
- A beefy pistol grip and repositioned shutter button ensure a secure natural hold on the camera. Enjoy comfortable handheld shooting with less camera shake, even with a large lens.
Share your highlights
- With Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps, you can find apps that'll let you control and view your camera from a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone, as well as share and save photos. Post those thrilling shots of your multi-day hike directly on Facebook, given you can find a Wi-Fi connection in the wild.
- Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity make wireless file transfers and one-touch pairing easy. The PlayMemories Mobile app lets you touch your camera to an Android smartphone or tablet, and create an instant connection through NFC for sharing, remote control, and basic editing.
- Sony's lithium-ion rechargeable NP-FW50 battery lasts up to 350 stills on a single charge, while the innovative InfoLITHIUM battery system lets you see the power percentage remaining so you can shoot with confidence.
Storage & Interface
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FW50
- AC Adaptor
- Shoulder Strap
- Body Cap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup
- Micro USB Cable
- Instruction Manual
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 468 reviewers who responded, 442 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Do not buy this camera for Astrophotography- April 13, 2018
I bought this body for landscape photography which in my case includes astrophotography. Most of the latest Sony Alpha cameras employ a spatial filtering noise reduction algorithm when using Bulb mode. This noise reduction targets hot pixels. It affects RAW files and cannot be turned off, even when using Uncompressed RAW. The primary issue with the spatial filtering is that it greatly affects astrophotography: dimmer stars that occupy only a few pixels are erased, essentially “mistaken” for noise by the filtering algorithm. The result is an astrophoto with greatly reduced visibility of dim stars and an overall appearance of reduced resolution.No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing, understated camera- May 5, 2016
This camera, to a serious amateur, provides so many features. As a full-frame device you expect excellent quality images, and it doesn't disappoint. It does what it advertises, all controls seem to be in the right place, and the menu system is as straightforward as it can be given the flexibility offered. Things to consider - Start-up following a battery change seems slow. There's no integral flash. Though I prefer a separate source, an integral one can mean achieving an image in a hurry. Bluetooth connection to a phone etc for remote monitoring and release is a bit clunky. But these are minor issues compared with the rest of the design.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor advertising for a good product- June 19, 2015
This camera is advertised in the new products window as a 42MP camera, but when I went to the store online to buy it, there it says 24MP. Immediately I stop, because now I am not sure what I am buying. It's a habit, after all the great design, you market it so poor. That was the same stupidity when I bought my A7R, they had the same specifications on both the A7 and A7R, I had to call like three times to be sure exactly what I am buying. Maybe i'll have to call three times to verify the specs. again before I buy, Cannon or Nikon might come out with something similar and I go for that since there specs. are correct. Delays are not good in business.