Sony Alpha a7S Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera (Body Only)
Available to ship
This product is currently unavailable to pick up at nearby stores.
Full-frame advantage, BIONZ X performance
- Equipped with a 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor, the a7S captures stunning images with a wide dynamic range and true-to-life colour reproduction in 12.2MP resolution. Play back and admire the lifelike, vibrant colours of the tropical birds in your resort's garden, output in brilliant 4K resolution on your compatible TV.
- The BIONZ X image processing engine faithfully reproduces textures as seen by the naked eye for more realistic images with precise detail and richer tonal gradations. You won't just capture the ruffles of the birds feathers, but also the scratches and scraps on their beaks.
- Featuring an expanded ISO sensitivity range of 50 to 409600, the Exmor sensor and BIONZ X combine to deliver incredibly detailed images with exceptional clarity, texture, and low noise when shooting in extreme low light at mid to high ISO ranges. Easily capture all of the splendour of your moon-lit, beach-side dinner for 2.
- Fast Hybrid AF system delivers a coverage area using phase-detection autofocus and point contrast-detection autofocus. Phase detection sensors help focus on a large crab scuttling across the beach trying to get back to the waves.
- Enhanced Lock-on AF tracking keeps moving subjects in sharp focus, so capturing the antics of a mischievous parrot sneaking food from the resort buffet is smooth and stable.
- Capture decisive moments and fast-moving subjects with 5fps continuous AF/AE shooting. Thanks to a spatial object detection algorithm that optimizes control of the lens drive, the a7S delivers sharp, well-exposed images shot continuously.
Capture and record like a pro
- The a7S uses the XAVC S format, ensuring you get maximum clarity and detail. XAVC S records at 50Mbps for Full HD footage and up to 120fps for slow-motion HD videos.
- The a7S supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format, making the most of the full-frame sensor's wide dynamic range and ensuring maximum quality of tonal gradation.
- Equipped with an electronic shutter, the a7S has a silent shooting mode, ideal for photographing without interrupting events, performances, or any time where shooting silent is essential. The electronic shutter doesn't move so you'll capture high-resolution photos with no camera shake.
Frame the shot the way you want
- High-contrast XGA OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder lets you view your surroundings in rich detail. Preview your recordings, including the effects of camera settings, so you can tweak exposure, colour, and focus before taking the picture.
- Tiltable 3-inch 921K-dot LCD screen pivots up and down so you can indulge in perfectly framed low-angle shots, and change your view on a whim. Dare to stand on the cliff's edge and photograph the plunging depths below.
- Shoot like a pro thanks to instant access to the features you need to shoot on the fly, including full manual control and 9 customizable buttons that allow you to assign 1 of 54 common functions to any of those buttons. Quickly choose shooting modes and camera settings with a rear-mounted control wheel, front and rear dials, and exposure compensation dial.
- The a7S sports advanced shooting features, such as focus peaking that lets you see what areas of the frame are in focus. The a7S also has 13 creative filters, allowing you to add unique flair to your images.
- Equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe, the a7S lets you take advantage of a range of accessories, such as video lights and shotgun microphones (not included) to help you create more professional-looking videos. Built-in audio and microphone jacks let you connect an external microphone and monitor sound with a set of headphones.
- Compact, lightweight design features a robust magnesium alloy body and lens mount that's dust and moisture resistant. Get peace of mind that your gear will survive if the weather becomes unfriendly.
- An anti-dust system and anti-static coating ensure that dry or moist particles that could get in when you're swapping lenses won't stick to the optical filter, keeping your photos blemish free.
- A beefy pistol grip ensures a secure natural hold on the camera. Enjoy comfortable handheld shooting with less camera shake, even with a large lens.
Share your highlights
- With Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps, you can find apps that'll let you control and view your camera from a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone, as well as share and save photos. Post those thrilling shots of your multi-day hike directly on Facebook, given you can find a Wi-Fi connection in the wild.
- Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity make wireless file transfers and one-touch pairing easy. The PlayMemories Mobile app lets you touch your camera to an Android smartphone or tablet, and create an instant connection through NFC for sharing, remote control, and basic editing.
- Sony's lithium-ion rechargeable NP-FW50 battery lasts up to 380 stills on a single charge, while the innovative InfoLITHIUM battery system lets you see the power percentage remaining so you can shoot with confidence.
Storage & Interface
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FW50
- AC Adaptor
- Shoulder Strap
- Body Cap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup
- Micro USB Cable
- Instruction Manual
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 47 reviewers who responded, 43 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Not a digital/video camera for action- July 7, 2014
The overall picture quality is wonderful. Of course this camera beats all other cameras in the market with its sensitivity. The dynamic range is amazing. The only big issue with me is that I am heavily involved with action sports videography. People and things fly across my screen very quickly so rolling shutter means a lot. THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA FOR YOU IF YOU HEAVILY VALUE ROLLING SHUTTER. If rolling shutter is not that big of a problem, the events or occasions you take video of are dark, you enjoy having a large sensor, you value having mobility, and you like having a wide lens selection, this camera is the one for you HANDS DOWN.
- Best video camera I've ever encountered- May 3, 2015
The full frame sensor, the widely ranging ISO, and codec, and the adaptability of the camera to take almost any lens makes it a brilliant choice. I have outfitted mine with an adaptor to allow me to use a collection of Leica lenses. Yes, I would like a zoom, but these primes are beautiful in combination. My only dissatisfaction is the 29 minute recording time. I work around it, but for long records it's a bit of a pain. Yes, I know I can get an outboard recorder, like a Shogun, but I prefer a smaller setup, and 1080p with the 50 mbs codec results in just stunning video. I am very grateful to have this camera.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deal of the year- September 30, 2019
I found this model at my local store as return, but it had everything and was in perfect condition, and heavily discounted. This is the original a7S so the shutter button is in an awkward location (they moved it on the MII), but the ISO range is like nothing else out there. It does not shoot video in 4K to the internal memory card (it only has one SD slot), but again the lowlight capabilities are amazing. It's not the latest and greatest, but is still better than most cameras out there for twice the price. If you are reading this, try to get the a7SII at a discount when the a7SIII comes out.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.