Sony E-Mount Full-Frame FE Sonnar T 55mm f/1.8 ZEISS Prime Lens
The Nifty Fifty(-Five)
- This full-frame 55mm (82.5mm on an APS-C sensor) lens gives you the ideal focal length for a day out. Ideal for street photography, portraits, and close-up photography, this fixed focal length prime lens works great in low-light conditions thanks to its f/.8 maximum aperture. So, the photos of your late night dai pai dong (outdoor food vendor) feast in a seedy alley in the heart of Hong Kong will come out in sharp detail.
- But Mother Nature isn't always kind to you when you're out and about. Thankfully, the lens exterior features dust- and moisture-resistant seals. So whether you're trying to get that perfect shot of the Tian Tan Buddha on Lantau Island as a storm rolls in or you're taking shelter from a wind storm at the Stanley Market you have peace of mind that your lens is protected in tough environmental conditions.
Keep your focus
- Whether you're trying to photograph the horses at the finish line at Happy Valley race track or a monkey leaping from branch to branch at the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens, quick autofocusing is crucial when you're trying to capture action. The lens' internal focusing system achieves fast autofocusing with a short minimum focusing distance so you get sharp, detailed photos.
- Unleash your artistic side with the 9-blade circular aperture. When defocusing the background to create a bokeh effect, the circular aperture creates round blurred defocused points of light instead of the usual and less appealing polygonal shape. Plus the maximum f/1.8 aperture offers smooth, natural defocusing and a very shallow depth of field.
- The Carl Zeiss T-Star (T*) coating virtually eliminates lens flare, internal reflection, and light scattering. So your photographs of the Noon Day Gun at Causeway Bay on a bright, sunny Hong Kong afternoon come out with high contrast and high resolution.
- The aspherical lens design reduces spherical aberrations delivering high sharpness and contrast resulting in significantly improved image accuracy and quality. The design also reduces the overall number of elements needed so you get a more compact, lightweight prime lens.
- This E-mount lens is ideal for basic portrait work, capturing sports, or wildlife photography. It's compatible with E-mount mirroless cameras and pairs perfectly with the Sony a7 lineup of full frame cameras.
- Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens
- Lens Hood
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 362 reviewers who responded, 352 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Great image quality but with loud aperture noise !- January 3, 2019
I just bought this lens after seeing so many good reviews, comments and also watching many test videos. Everything is fine except for one thing. The aperture blades are chattering, making noise every time I change them. After a bit of search on internet I found out that many people had this issue as well. I'm still not sure if my lens is faulty or is it just the way this lens is. I'm kind of disappointed because even my kit lens with Sony a7 iii didn't make such noises. Considering many people say it's an almost silence lens I doubt mine, then again there are many people facing the same issue. Hope someone could give some information on this.
- Great Prime Lens- October 7, 2014
I wanted a lens to put on my A7R as a general purpose high end lens. In conjunction the photos are excellent, with clear focus, no apparent chromatic aberrations or distortions across the photos. Light capture appears excellent for its small 49mm diameter. The lens is very well made, looks and feels solid. The fit to camera is sound with no movement and the manual focus, when used works well. I have used a slim polaroid circular filter on the lens which is difficult to operate with the slight recess on the front, almost impossible with the excellent lens hood provided, but what's new. High end fantastic lens as you should expect from Zeiss.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Finest Lens Sony Makes- January 30, 2016
Sony makes a good number of quality FE lenses now. However of them ALL this one lens is the one that has NO negative characteristics and simply delivers not only the sharpest image a person could possibly ask for on either a A7II or a A7RII. It is a joy to hold as it's build is solid and smooth. Everything on the lens is quality and well executed including the smooth focus ring. The "bokeh" is about the finest one can get from any lens and easy to achieve as well. Focus is nice and quick and accurate. There is nothing but wonderful things to say and experience with this lens. It is in my opinion a MUST HAVE when you have an A series camera.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.