Sony Stereo On-Camera Microphone (ECM-XYST1M)
- Compatible with Handycam camcorders, Cyber-shot cameras, and Alpha cameras equipped with a multi-interface shoe
- 0 to 120-degree recording range allows you to capture precision sound across a wide frame
- 70-20000Hz frequency band captures high-quality sound with more timbre
- Included windscreen minimizes wind noise to deliver crisp, clear audio
- Lightweight design weighs just 3.53 ounces and boasts a sleek black casing for a professional look
- Microphone terminal cable allows you to plug directly into your Handycam's ECM-XYST1M Stereo Mic
- Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
- Stereo Mini-Jack Connection Cable
- Carrying Pouch
Of the 23 reviewers who responded, 20 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Huge improvement over built-in mic- June 1, 2013
I have a Sony HDR-CX430V I use for taping live music performances. This mic is a huge improvement over the built-in mics on this camera. When shooting with the mics at their widest angle of separation, the stereo field is quite nicely defined, however, if there are people around you, you will hear more of them, too. Switching to 0 degrees of separation reduces side-chatter, but also squashes the stereo field significantly, though the sound is still better than with the built-ins. Advice: avoid being in the middle of an impolite crowd, get as close as you can to the act while staying in front of the PA, and use the wide-field position as much as possible. Especially for the money, I am very happy with this product.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Stereo Mic for Use with Multi-Interface Shoe- June 23, 2014
There are situations when the in-camera microphone is not directed properly to the subject sound and the microphone picks up extraneous sounds. The lens hood on many cameras further reduces the pickup of the source by hiding portions of the in camera mic. This Stereo Microphone solves these issues by having a more directional pickup and the mic is raised about the camera's lens hood. Recording quality is quite good and in-camera noises sometimes picked up by the internal mic are gone. Unit is for cameras with the Multi-show interface only. I do wish Sony made an adapter for older cameras (CX-760 for example) to use this unit securely attached to the camera. The mic also comes with an external cable to hook up the unit to a mic-in connection and comes with a nice carrying bag and mic wind noise reducer.
- Microphone captures great sound.- January 12, 2019
I bought this mic to record bands at various venues. I use it on my Sony FDR-AX33 4K Video Camera. I like that you can adjust it to capture a single performer or a whole band. I didn't give it 5 stars because the frequency response on the low end is not adequate to capture all the notes from a bass(did I mention my girlfriend plays bass guitar!). One other lesson I learned is ALWAYS use the "dead cat" when outside. Even the slightest wind will be picked up by the microphone.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Microphone- January 2, 2017
Works great on my Sony a6300. I was debating over purchasing this unit or a Rode Videomic but ended up purchasing this unit because the lack of wires and external battery. The fact that I don't have to worry about wires and batteries is great. The low noise filter works great for getting rid of AC unit noise or wind. Even includes an output and cable to connect to cameras that accept 3.5mm mic inputs. Couldn't find anything wrong with the product.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect if you want to film in windy conditions!- April 17, 2015
I'm using this in conjunction with an HDR-CX900E camcorder and it's mounted and connoted very quicks and easily using the Multi-Interface Shoe. No extra cable connecting or fiddling! I'm using this Mic to film outdoors and in windy conditions therefore using the provided windscreen. The result is perfect and finally I can maintain the recorded sound when editing my movies. It does exactly what it says on the tin and I can recommend it.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.