WD My Passport Ultra 5TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive for Mac (WDBPMV0050BSL-WESN)
- Part of the WD/My Passport Ultra collection
- External hard drive with 5TB storage capacity to store and access your valuable data anywhere
- Lightning-fast data transfer speeds up to 5,000Mb/s through USB-C and USB 3.1 connectivity make every file move in a flash
- Allows password setup with 256-bit AES hardware encryption to secure your data from unauthorised access
- WD Discovery software lets you schedule automatic backups for your data, set up a password, and import your content from social media and cloud storage
- Compatible with Time Machine
- Formatted HFS+ Journaled storage device for macOS Mojave, High Sierra or Sierra, and you can even read⁄write on Windows with a downloadable HFS+ driver
- Sleek, portable design with refined metal cover looks attractive and stylish
- My Passport Ultra for Mac Portable Storage
- USB-C Cable with USB 3.1 Adapter
- Quick Install Guide
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 302 reviewers who responded, 268 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- The reason for my "poor" rating is described below- August 29, 2020
Purchased the 4.0 TB My Passport Ultra to serve as extra backup storage for my Mac Time Machine. Unfortunately, after almost three weeks I have been getting the same message that "[the unit] still waiting to make first backup" in so many words.] In the meantime my Mac Time Machine has made and stored a backup almost daily to the Time Machine Tower, and to two other WD drives which are used for the same purpose--additional backup of my Time Machine. Have tried several restores of software on the Passport Ultra, no luck. Have tried to find an explanation on the Web for a "fix". Have tried several suggestions but no luck. My MacBookPro is running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6.No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
- Finicky Cord- June 11, 2019
The hard drive works, yes. However, the cord is SO finicky. If you even touch it a little while its plugged in, a message on my laptop pops up about it ejecting improperly. Its so frustrating. I already have uploaded a couple albums worth of photos, so I am unable to return it. Wondering how many others have had this problem? I saw one other reviewer mention this. If I perhaps have purchased a faulty cord, I would love for the company to send another. So irritating. Also note: I have about 5 other WD Passports, but not this specific version. I have always had success with them, up until this model.No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
- This does what I want—but . . .- May 9, 2020
For some reason I cannot get this synced with Time Machine to back up automatically. I get an error message after each attempt to automatically back up. The first back up works smoothly—but I have to eject and initiate a new back up every time I want to back up my computer. This seems to be a fairly common problem when I go online and find a solution. The only “solution” to the problem did not appear to work when I tried it. So, it is easy to back up my computer—there is lots of space on the hard drive—but the “automatic backup” problem keeps me from giving this an excellent rating.No, I would not recommend this to a friend.