Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
- 50mm on full-frame cameras, 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, it's an excellent prime lens for portraits, action, and nighttime photography
- Maximum aperture of f/1.8 offers exceptional low light performance
- Circular 7-blade design captures gorgeous, sharp images and movies with beautiful bokeh
- Updated lens arrangement with improved lens coatings delivers images with excellent color balance, plus minimized ghosting and flare
- Stepping motor (gear-type STM) delivers near silent, continuous Movie Servo AF for movies, plus speedy, smooth autofocusing for stills
- Improved focus ring placement makes manual focus adjustments easy
- Features a rugged metal mount, plus an improved minimum focusing distance of 0.35m (1.15ft) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
- Compact and lightweight, it's an outstanding walk-around lens
- EF50mm 1:1.8 STM
- Lens Cap E-49
- Lens Dust Cap E
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 2862 reviewers who responded, 2837 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Pleasant and fun- August 27, 2018
Aperture aperture aperture. I was so surprised at how pleasant and fun this lens is. It was recommended to me by a store employee and one day I thought why not I’ll buy it it’s only $125. Oh my goodness do I love this lens it is small and lightweight I love it because when I edit my photos I tend to zoom in dramatically on many photos that I take and when I use this lens it minimizes the amount of editing that I do since it shoots at a zoomed in position already. I love that the aperture goes down to 1.8 and I am able to achieve that desire Desired of blurred background look I am now curious at how the $300 50 millimeter lens is going to work.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent lens for beginners or advanced amateurs- August 31, 2019
I decided to buy the 50mm 1.8 vs the 50mm 1.4 based on the various reviews I read online. The one glaring review or comment that convince me to buy this lens is images taken with the 1.8 are no less sharper than images taken with the more expensive 1.4. The focus motor is a very audible, but does not affect my photography which is mostly portrait. I do not shoot videos with my Canon DSLR. Granted that this lens may not be the best prime 50mm, but it works for me. It is lightweight which I need since I have osteoarthritis in my right hand. I shoot with a Canon 85mm 1.8 and use the 50mm for shots where I need to move in closer for some shots I want.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night Time Fun- November 5, 2021
I purchased this prime lens because I wanted something that would perform a bit better than the kit lens in darker conditions; think indoor parties, clubs, concerts, and night street photography with no flash (I HATE FLASH). I am quite pleased with the lens. Definitely better than the kit lens for the situations mentioned. There are two drawbacks that keep me from giving a five star review. First, I feel like the auto focus is quite slow in the dark (which is not all that surprising). Second, the field of view is really more limiting than I thought. Still and all, this will be a valued addition to my camera bag that I would heartily recommend.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
See helpful questions and answers from shoppers like you.
This product can only be returned if unopened. Restocking fees may apply.Learn more about returns