Sony E-Mount 90mm f/2.8 G OSS DDSSM Lens
Close for comfort
- Offering an impressive 90mm (135mm on an APS-C sensor), this lens gives you a great focal length for portraits. Plus, a minimum focusing distance of 0.28m and 1:1 magnification makes this lens ideal for macro photography and extreme close-ups.
- This medium telephoto macro lens delivers a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture, making it ideal for low light situation. It delivers an incredibly shallow depth of field so your close-ups get gorgeous background bokeh for that added artistic flare.
Keep your focus
- Macro photography can be tricky. Small insects or tiny creatures aren't necessarily going to sit still for you. So when you need to move your camera to follow a butterfly or quickly track a jumping cricket, Sony's lens-based Optical SteadyShot image stabilization works to prevent image blur.
- Whether you're trying to capture the pattern in the wings of a dragonfly or a portrait of your laughing baby, quick autofocusing is crucial. The lens' internal focusing system achieves fast autofocusing so you get sharp, detailed photos.
- You don't want a noisy camera, especially when you're trying to photograph small creatures. Thankfully, the Direct Drive Super Sonic Wave Motor (DDSSM) offers smooth and silent autofocusing. So when you're photographing animals and insects the sound of your autofocus motor won't spook them. Quiet autofocus is also great when you're recording video so you don't get the autofocus motor noise in your movie.
- The DDSSM delivers accurate alignment of the heavy lenses, which is critical in macro photography. This macro lens also offers optimal focusing when shooting movies.
- Unleash your artistic side with the 9-blade circular aperture. When defocusing the background to create a bokeh effect, the circular aperture creates round blurred defocused points of light instead of the usual and less appealing polygonal shape. Plus the constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers smooth, natural defocusing and an incredibly shallow depth of field.
- This G series lens delivers advanced features for intermediate and pro shooters. The focus hold button lets you lock your focusing distance once you've got your focus where you want it. Locking your focus settings means you can shoot without having to constantly refocus on the same area so you can make sure you get capture every moment in sharp detail.
- Focus limiting feature can save you time when autofocusing so you capture your photo at just the right moment. It lets you set a limit on the far focusing range so the lens is not moving through the whole focal length. Both focus hold and focus limiting give you excellent control during macro photography, making it easier to shoot insects and other subjects that you cannot get super close to.
- Sony's Nano AR (anti-reflective) coating reduces reflections that can cause ghosting and flare. Delivering accurate light transmission, this AR coating improves clarity and contrast so you get high-quality images.
- The aspherical lens design reduces spherical aberrations delivering high sharpness and contrast resulting in significantly improved image accuracy and quality. The design also reduces the overall number of elements needed so you get a more compact, lightweight medium telephoto lens.
- ED (extra-low dispersion) glass reduces chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, providing superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings. Super ED glass elements offer even better reduction of chromatic aberrations so you get stunning images with exceptional colour quality and higher resolution.
Of the 162 reviewers who responded, 160 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Amazing close-ups- February 2, 2018
I purchased this lens about a month ago and I have been very impressed with the clarity and bokeh when shooting close-ups. Very easy to lock focus compared to other macro lenses and is sharp from the center to the edges of the focal plane. Although it also functions as a very sharp portrait lens, the bokeh when capturing portraits is not nearly as smooth as it is for close-ups. The further you get from your subject the more "swirly" the out of focus area gets. Nevertheless, it functions amazingly for its intended purpose as a macro lens. There is virtually no distortion, color fringing or chromatic aberration. It is an excellent product.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very sharp. Not for the quick point and shooter.- July 31, 2016
Unbelievable pics with this lens. Not exactly for a brand new photographer - should be comfortable with the different settings and functions of your camera. Really superior photos (close up/micro/macro & portait) especially once you get the hang of it. Not great for everyday point and shot but that's not what it's meant for. Auto focus haunts is slow. Found myself getting better pics in manual mode. It has some weight too and does get heavy in the hand. Perfect for tripod use or prob wanna get grip extender (battery grip) for camera. One of the few lenses that is worth it's price. Might be best bang for the buck especially if was a little lighter.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!!!!!!!- April 30, 2016
Dear Lord, I have been shhoting for close to 4 months, took a few classes, watched countless videos, now that I am a bit more educated I understand sharpness a bit more, I use the a7ii with the kit lens and Zeiss 55 1,8 great lens but not ideal for Macro, picked up this macro yesterday and I can't stop shooting, it has taken me to another level, I haven't even processed my pictures, they are that sharp straight out of the camera, I use the saturation feature, it was this lens or the a6300, no way my a7ii and this lens are on another level now. Thanks to all the reviews, it was hard to spend that amount of money, no buyers remorse here.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.