Sony E-Mount APS-C 50mm f/1.8 OSS Portrait Prime Lens
Sold out online
The Nifty Fifty
- This 50mm (75mm on an APS-C sensor) lens gives you the ideal focal length for a day out. Ideal for street photography, portraits, and close-up photography, this fixed focal length prime lens works great in low-light conditions thanks to its f/.8 maximum aperture. So, the photos of your late night dai pai dong (outdoor food vendor) feast in a seedy alley in the heart of Hong Kong will come out in sharp detail.
Keep your focus
- Sony's lens-based Optical SteadyShot image stabilization works to prevent image blur. So when you need to move your camera to follow Kung-Fu masters sparing during a martial arts demonstration, Optical SteadyShot ensures you get sharp images.
- Whether you're trying to photograph the horses at the finish line at Happy Valley race track or a monkey leaping from branch to branch at the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens, quick autofocusing is crucial when you're trying to capture action. The lens' internal focusing system achieves fast autofocusing with a short minimum focusing distance so you get sharp, detailed photos.
- Unleash your artistic side with the 7-blade circular aperture. When defocusing the background to create a bokeh effect, the circular aperture creates round blurred defocused points of light instead of the usual and less appealing polygonal shape. Plus the maximum f/1.8 aperture offers smooth, natural defocusing and a very shallow depth of field.
- The aspherical lens design reduces spherical aberrations delivering high sharpness and contrast resulting in significantly improved image accuracy and quality. The design also reduces the overall number of elements needed so you get a more compact, lightweight prime lens.
- ED (extra-low dispersion) glass reduces chromatic aberration, providing superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings. So you get stunning images with exceptional colour quality and higher resolution.
- This E-mount lens is ideal for basic portrait work and street photography. It's compatible with E-mount mirroless cameras.
There is no manufacturer content to show for this product. Explore the Details & Specs and Customer Reviews sections to learn more.
Of the 556 reviewers who responded, 545 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- My new nifty 50. The Sony 50mm f1.8 oss- February 13, 2021
My new favourite prime. Sony 50mm f1.8 oss I like to film footage of different angles, product, backdrops and lighting to try and explore new ideas and with the lens it adds a whole new dimension. It is affordable and solid in the hand. Build quality is good and the bokeh is great for its price. I recommend this lens to anyone as your getting a great prime that makes your portraits pop and gives your videos more definition and great dynamic range considering this is built for Sony’s range of crop sensor cameras.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lens for price!- February 19, 2021
This lens is amazing!!!! I have been doing more portraits recently and this is the lens to go with. For the price, you cant find much better than this lens. The bokeh is very smooth and lowlight conditions look amazing. My only complaint is that you can not zoom in or out so it can be annoying to move back and forth, but at the same time its worth the price. I dont mind moving a couple feet back to save a couple hundred bucks.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!- April 24, 2015
For me this is an essential les for all owners of an e mount compatible camera. Stunning clarity and stabilisation. You will also get amazing depth of field and the lens delivers silent focusing at all times. the best 50mm in terms of pricing and features. Very lovely in its construction and design, feels very sturdy and will last forever. The included lens hood is also a nice bonus.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Lens- June 10, 2013
After buying the NEX-5N I was told by many photographer friends to get a fast fixed lens. I was happy to find out that this lens was well-reviewed and a great value so I decided to buy it. No regrets! I have had this for some months and after getting used to it I am able to take some amazing shots with great clarity. The bokeh is also of very high quality and is the most enjoyable aspect for me. The fast fstop allows great portraits as well. The construction is solid and the focus ring is smooth. A definite must have for any photographer.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEX essential- April 4, 2013
I read reviews explaining this was a great lens, but I was now prepared for how great. I've had it for 4 months, and it is a dream to work with. The images look great even wide open, and I love the bokeh effect. The focus ring is very smooth which makes it extremely easy to get your tiny depth of field right where you want it manually. If you use the NEX camera you simply have to buy this lens (why else would you buy it?). The only drawback is the lack of any indicator as to where your depth of field is on the lens. That would have been nice, but as stated it's not hard be accurate with just your eye or the peaking function. At $300 this is almost a steal.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
See helpful questions and answers from shoppers like you.
This product can only be returned if unopened. Restocking fees may apply.Learn more about returns