Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 Medium Telephoto Portrait Prime Lens
Available to ship
This product is currently unavailable to pick up at nearby stores.
Geek Squad Protection PlanSee benefits
A prime choice
- Offering an impressive 85mm focal length, this prime lens gives you a great focal length for portraits and other still life
- This prime lens delivers a constant f/1.8 maximum aperture, making it ideal for low light situation and
- An f/1.8 aperture also delivers an incredibly shallow depth of field, allowing you to get sharp focus on your subject and gorgeous bokeh in all out-of-focus areas
Keep your focus
- The lens's internal focusing system achieves fast autofocusing ensuring you freeze the action and your photos have tack-sharp details
- A double linear motor offers smooth and silent autofocusing, ideal for photographing when you don't want the whir of a motor to distract others
- Quiet autofocus is also great when you're recording video so you don't get the autofocus motor noise in your movie
- An 9-blade circular aperture creates round blurred defocused points of light instead of the usual and less appealing polygonal shape
- The focus hold button lets you lock your focusing distance once you've got your focus where you want it, so you can shoot without having to constantly refocus on the same area
- The focus hold button is also programmable for quick access to multiple functions
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via an AF/MF switch allows you to have on-demand creative control over your focusing
- Compact, lightweight design makes it ideal for photographers and videographers that need to be nimble and mobile
- ED (extra-low dispersion) glass reduces chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, providing superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings
- Dust- and moisture-resistant seals gives you peace of mind when shooting and Mother Nature turns on you
- Lens Hood
- Lens Front Cap
- Lens Rear Cap
Of the 445 reviewers who responded, 437 would recommend this product.
Averages based on how reviewers feel this product performs.
- Awesome sharpness and Beautiful Bokeh- January 12, 2018
I read about this lens in many reviews and everyome said it’s close to perfect, so I decided to buy it and wa not dissapointed at all. This lens is perfect, autofocuses unbelieavably fast and accurate, and the images it produces are breathtaking. I was worried about the lack of OSS (optical stabilization) but with the IBIS in my camera I REALLY don’t need it. I can shoot still objects at 1/8s completely sharp!!! The focus-by-wire is linear and not accelerates which I prefer and manual focus (together with my camera’s magnification focus-aid) is a joy. I strongly recommend this lens, for it’s price, is my best lens so far (lightweight, small, fast...).Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not good, not great. Pronounced CA.- January 22, 2021
I wanted to like this lens as I own several other Sony lenses, but the 85mm 1.8 just fell short of being good on several fronts. First, there were two large dust specs inside the lens that I noticed the first time I mounted the lens (Quality Control?). Second, the Chromatic Aboration was excessive when shooting anything with a silver-tone next to a dark background or any dark item with sharp lines. Third, when shooting F2.8 or below, the sharpness drops heavy just outside the center, and vignetting is heavier than I expected. For these reasons, I returned the lens. The camera store was understanding and took it back without a problem. I put the money toward a different lens.No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lens for the value- April 1, 2017
Recently purchased my a7ii and have seen this lens for pre-order for a couple months now. Decided to pull the trigger and could not be any happier with this lens. Images are very sharp corner to corner and bokeh is smooth. The AF motor on this is quiet and quick. Build quality feels solid and does have some weight to it. The lens DOES have some cat eye with bokeh near edges of the photos, but it does not bug me personally as it adds to the character just a bit. Great alternative for the price point in comparison to the G Master 85mm 1.4, or the Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8.Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.